Monday, February 24, 2014

More rice please!



I made another round of onigiri (Japanese rice balls). Jeff bought me a rice mold that creates little appetizer size triangles. They were so much fun to make!


Half the rice is packed in the mold. I poked a hole in the rice and added little bits of filling. For these I added finely chopped green onion kimchi. More rice is added to fill the cavity and cover the filling. The other half of the mold is place on top and squeezed down...


and VOILA! Perfect little triangles ready to wrap in nori and garnish.


I made some larger, more traditional size balls as well. Some filled with shrimp, others with chunks of cucumber kimchi. The pottery trays used in the photographs are all pieces that Jeff brought home from Korea. We use the wood fired tray in the first photograph a lot. I just love it.

I told Jeff that next on my "I Want" list is a nori punch...

clicking on the photo will take you to Amazon.com

 He rolled his eyes and said he draws the line at cute food.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to come by and take lessons, these look delicious

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and appreciate comments. Lately I have had a lot of spam and therefore have had to turn on word verification as well as comment moderation for posts older than 14 days.