Monday, February 3, 2014

Workshop weekend in the big city of Charlotte

I enjoyed the Josh DeWeese workshop this weekend, Carolina Claymatters did a great job in organizing it. I didn't take a lot of photos because I prefer to watch and listen during presentations. I find that if you spend too much time snapping photos or video you miss the meat of the presentation.  Personally, I found the iPad and smartphone videoing, photo taking, and googling names of potters mentioned by Josh, distracting. All this technology is fascinating and a wonderful thing... in the right place. That being said, here are some photos I took during breaks...

 I love Josh's tumblers. Luckily they were all sold by the time I looked at them. I really would have had no business buying pots this weekend. We try to be extra thrifty in the winter.


Josh demonstrated making both of these types of pitchers. It was very interesting how he achieves these lovely gestures with cutting away pieces and darting. My favorite part of the workshop was watching his handle techniques. I think I could have watched him do just that all day!


 He also demonstrated the making of this cruet, on the left, in the photo above. Below are the parts prior to assembly.



 I took this photo for Suzi, aka Smartcat. Josh DeWeese uses the applicators that she just bought, to create the lines on these pots. He works with the Amaco velvet underglaze that I have started using on my stamped pots and flowery pigs. It was helpful for me to hear him talk about high firing with these underglazes that aren't really designed to go to ^10, most colors wash out. I am inspired to play with them some more, and I am excited to get back to work!


6 comments:

  1. Thanks, Michele. Josh has a real fluidity with these little guys. Interesting about using velvets; I have used them to outline work on raw glaze. Hmmmmm, I need to get more little bottles.
    If Josh ever comes up this way, I will try for a workshop with him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be able to find a chart that shows which underglazes burn out at cone 10 and which do not. I've got one and found it quite helpful. If you can't find one on line let me know and I'll send you a copy of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used underglazes at cone 10 and it was usually the yellow and reds that burned out the most, some faded but many were very nice at that temp. Love the irregular lines on the pot of Josh's you have shown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. funny, some potters work totally reminds you that THIS is made with CLAY, meaning, fluid shape and earthy decoration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suzi- I have a few little bottles with the tips, I can't remember where I got them... probably Sheffield Pottery.

    Lori, thanks for that info. I have a few colors that were given to me and I have tested most of them. None burned out completely, but many were rather dull, as Linda stated. I will look for a chart online.

    Linda - Josh talked about the yellow and reds. He said in his soda firing the reds where pinky and the yellow would burn out except where it was protected by and overhanging rim. I found that pretty interesting.

    Gary- YES! His work definitely says clay. He also adds lots of attachments very shortly after they are made.


    ReplyDelete
  6. I love his free style of work! He is one of those potters I never tire of watching or listening to. The guy has been around!
    I had a mug of his I coveted, loved the way it worked it's way around my hand. Need another as my very young daughter loved it too and gave it to her much loved second grade teacher.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and appreciate comments. Lately I have had a lot of spam and therefore have had to turn on word verification as well as comment moderation for posts older than 14 days.