Monday, April 14, 2014

The Crap Shoot of Street Shows


We couldn't have asked for better weather for the pottery festival on Saturday, but we definitely could have asked for more sales. We didn't even cover our booth fee, barely paid for our gas to Greensboro. Yep... it was that bad. We had one small empty box when we packed up at the end of the day, but that was only because we did a good job re-packing! The only pots that went to new homes were a soap dispenser and a sponge holder.


I had lots (and I mean lots) of time to observe our surroundings and test out the camera on my new phone. I like the gritty textures that you find in the city. My phone camera did a pretty good job of capturing them.



On the bright side, this show was close to home, booth fee wasn't too bad, it was an easy set up, and the day was short. I also don't have to worry about not having enough work for the next show!!!
I should also mention that Jeff brought a vessel sink display and we did get three leads on special orders. If those pan out then the show was worth the time.


7 comments:

  1. You know we have all been there. Remember my post a few years ago when I did the Hog Days festival and sold one $5 ornament? At least you kept a good attitude, that's something, I have big pity parties when I have shows like this. I have reached a point where I can hardly stand the thought of applying for a show anymore. Where have all the supporters of hand made goods gone...... On a positive note, I love that car, haha! And love your honesty, it is nice to know we all share this common bond of show hell :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll never forget the show where the only money I saw all day was a nickel I found on the road as I was heading for the truck at 6 o'clock. You better believe I picked it up !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your booth looks beautiful; I hope the sink orders pan out

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to an art festival this weekend (strange I'd want to go when I wasn't showing/selling) with friends. I saw lots of great art but not too many bags. Maybe people were just not in a buying mood. I hope they get over that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh and you're one up on me I don't even know how to use my phone camera. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yep, this is a tough time of year for street fairs, for some reason, it is like people start buying after June 1? your items though, mmmmmmmm... love the white and texture deco scheme, like milk poured over!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I once had a show that cost around $1000 with booth fees, hotel, gas and food. I only sold $79 and it was mostly teabag rests so I didn't even get to have the joy of selling something special. There was alot of anger because the promoters took $400 from me and didn't even have adequate advertising. Very few people even came to the venue.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and appreciate comments. Lately I have had a lot of spam and therefore have had to turn on word verification as well as comment moderation for posts older than 14 days.