Saturday, January 16, 2016

Cheap Eats


Jeff and I are pretty frugal. After a not so hot show season, coupled with big relocation expenses, we are being even more frugal. The fact that we both like to cook helps a lot.  I look for marked down meats whenever I am shopping. This week I scored in-store made, bulk sausage at the local market for half price... I saw dirty rice in my future! I simmered a big pot of pinto beans, cooked cowboy style, to go along with the rice. It was spicy deliciousness served with a chunk of cornbread. I enjoyed mine in my favorite bowl by Seagrove potter, Tom Gray. Not the best color choice for serving this rather yellow meal, but absolutely the perfect shape. We ate dinner while streaming a television show, and this bowl feels so good cradled in your hands, filled with warm food.

I think this meal might have cost $8 to make, the biggest expense being the slab bacon that went into the beans, but we have enough leftovers to eat another meal and probably lunch too. It also felt like a treat. This isn't a meal that is in our "regular" rotation, especially since it's bacon and sausage on one plate! You gotta splurge once in awhile, and when you do... why not bacon?

7 comments:

  1. We love rice and beans. It's always in our rotation in some form or another. Wrapped in tortillas for a quick night after teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious, I look for food stuff on sale too. I finally ran out of my black eyed peas from this summer so I got some dried ones to make and will add bacon, anything with bacon is good

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for frugal, good eating! That is a lovely bowl of Tom's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious! Don't you just love leftovers?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What do you call a potter who's not Frugal ? Bankrupt. Looks tasty whatever the cost.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, the potter who is not frugal is called bankrupt, SO TRUE!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and appreciate comments. Lately I have had a lot of spam and therefore have had to turn on word verification as well as comment moderation for posts older than 14 days.