Sunday, October 14, 2012

CCM Pottery Festival

Our last outdoor show of the year is behind us. I am happy to report that it was a good one. The Carolina Claymatters Pottery Festival, was well organized, in a nice setting, and brought out a good crowd that was there to buy pottery. The fact that we had a BEAUTIFUL fall day didn't hurt us either. 

The festival started at 10 am and ended at 4 pm... perfect hours. Our booth set up consisted of the EZ-up tent, two covered tables, and our abstracta unit. Easily set up and broken down. I didn't get any photos of our booth or the festival in general because we were too busy wrapping pots! 

The show is open to members of Carolina Claymatters, which we joined about two years ago. We wish we could attend more meetings and hope to in the future.  All who participate in the festival agrees to volunteer to help in some way. It could be as simple as picking up balloons on your way in on the morning of the show, to cleaning up any trash left in the park at the end of the day.  There are of course a core group that does big time volunteer work to organize this show, and to them I send a great big thank you for a job well done! 

Jeff and I enjoyed being involved with the NH Potters Guild (and still are from afar!) and hope that we can forge some new pottery friendships with members of this guild and so far everyone we have met has been warm and welcoming.

My wood fired ovals made their debut at the show yesterday! Jeff helped me get the wads ground off the lids before we left. They got lots of oohs and aahs, but did not sell. I was sort of glad because I think I want to spend a little more time with them.



Remember all those sponge holders I was making last week? I fired half of them and we unloaded the kiln on Friday night before the festival. I sold all but three.  They covered our booth fee, gas, and then some... glad I listened to Jeff.

5 comments:

  1. A few years ago, I went to a Claymatters workshop that featured Mark Hewitt. They seemed like a very nice group of people. Glad you had a prosperous show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best reason for no photos....BUSY DOING SALES! Glad it was a good onDo you have hard time selling new items when you are figuring out a new form or design? I sure do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on a good show.
    The idea of making all the participants do some volunteer work is brilliant, it makes you feel a bit of connection with the show and eases the burden on the other volunteers just a little.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great dishes I love the ornate knob handles, I'm sure they're even prettier in person!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd have trouble letting go of those stunning casseroles too!! Glad to hear it was a successful show :)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and appreciate comments. Lately I have had a lot of spam and therefore have had to turn on word verification as well as comment moderation for posts older than 14 days.