Tuesday, February 9, 2016

A Box of Treasures?

Last fall when we were visiting Danielle and Jason in Connecticut, Danielle gave me a box that her Dad asked her to pass on to me. I let out a groan because I was feeling like if I hadn't missed whatever was in there all these years, he could have tossed it and I would have been none the wiser. A lot of the contents ended up in the trash. Except for these...


Back in the 60's my aunt Theresa gifted me a portion of her large collection of dog figurines. They were mostly collies and poodles. I was probably around 8 years old, and was very excited. The collection grew to include cats that were given to me by family members whenever they traveled, and some antique pieces that belonged to my father and grandfather. A few are Avon bottles. Unscrew the head, to get to the perfume, remember those? Some still have perfume in them and they smell as bad today as  they did back then. 


The silly boxing poodles were always a favorite. The tail on one had broken. Luckily it was in the box and I was able to glue it back together. Today I am shipping the boxing poodles to my 7 year old great-niece. She will get it just in time for Valentines Day. She loves tchotchkes. I think I will gift her the rest over time.

Her mother will love me for it.



The scary thing is, this is only about 1/2 of the collection. The rest are probably still lurking in a box in the basement of my ex-husband. Who knows when they might reappear.

4 comments:

  1. Better you than me...I do wonder what landfill has the many little horses, cats and dogs which I left behind, and hope my parents tossed after I'd grown and gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would have done the same thing, groaned yet opened the box and take a little trip down memory lane. Then you have to figure out what to do with them. Like Barbra said.,,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Almost like a time capsule from your childhood. How fun. Very cool that you are gifting these sweet little animal figures to your neice. She's at the perfect age to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have decided to keep the figurines in the last photo... because I LOVE monkeys and the other are just old and interesting. I am also hanging on to the set of a mother cat with three kittens. Just because I always loved it.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and appreciate comments. Lately I have had a lot of spam and therefore have had to turn on word verification as well as comment moderation for posts older than 14 days.