Thursday, October 19, 2017

Process

Jeff and I are getting our collaborative work done for the Piedmont Craftsmen's show next month. We will be exhhibiting our work in a group booth, the weekend before Thanksgiving... the same weekend as the Celebration of Seagrove Potters.

Last week Jeff threw a few large platters and shallow bowls. It was so humid that it took forever for them to get to the point of being trimmed, slipped, and carved.

Yesterday I was finally able to get my hands on them.

Jeff had brushed on the slip days before.

I lightly sketch my design with a pencil. It was a little softer than I like to draw on, but we really needed to get these platters done.

Next I carve the ginkgo leaf outline.

 Then I carve away the background. This is obviously the part that takes the longest. I usually like to turn on the radio and listen to whatever is on WUNC public radio while carving. Sometimes I am amazed at how much time has passed when I am finished. I often switch between standing and sitting while I carve. It's a little easier on my "getting old body" to move around a lot.


Done!

One more to go today and then it's back to the wheel.

1 comment:

  1. I love how you can just make those leaves so easily, from habit probably. They look very natural.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and appreciate comments. Lately I have had a lot of spam and therefore have had to turn on word verification as well as comment moderation for posts older than 14 days.