Sunday, January 17, 2021

Windows, Paints, and Inks

 I did a thing! I lettered the full length glass door to our pottery studio/gallery. I had been wanting to try this for almost a year. A few weeks ago I ordered the Posca paint pens that I needed to do the job. They are water based paints and easily clean off with Windex. We had a paper "masks required" sign that I printed from the health department that was taped to the door. This looks much better. We are currently open by appointment only. I added that to the window as well, but the glare in the photo makes it hard to see.




I bought the Posca pens in black, red, and white, not knowing which would work best on the door. The black didn't stand out very well, so I went with the white. Originally I thought white snowflakes and black letters.

I then went on to experiment with the black pen in my art journal. I really like how they flow on paper. This is over a sparkly ink background.


I've been experimenting with new iridescent spray inks over a stencil. They were fun to use and I think I can make some neat backgrounds for greeting cards.


I will leave you with a big piggy bank from our firing this week. I have had a lot of orders for the copper red and shino combination. I cross my fingers every time they get fired. There are so many things that can go wrong with the red. It may turn out pink, it may "crawl" all over, and many times the glaze drips down the legs and adheres to the kiln shelf. When it runs, Jeff can usually save it with his amazing Dremel tool skills. Thankfully each one came out of the kiln looking great!




 

3 comments:

  1. Your door is beautiful! Very nice job. And the pig is pretty cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great door work. Isn't it fun to try out new tools? And to have red glaze which stays put, and looks this good! Kuddows to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful result on your pig - say well

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and appreciate comments. Lately I have had a lot of spam and therefore have had to turn on word verification as well as comment moderation for posts older than 14 days.