Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Black and White


 These mugs came out of the kiln a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't sure how I felt about them and left them out on the shelves under the kiln shed for more than a week.


I finally decided to bring them in and photograph them. After spending some time with them, I decided they were OK. 


I think I would be more in love with them if I had a more transparent glaze. My next plan is to apply velvet under glaze onto the white stoneware and carve through it, instead of the slip. The velvet under glaze has a nice finish without any glaze over it. I will first do some tumblers or small cups. If wanted to do mugs I would have to wax over all of the under glaze in order glaze the handle too. I am open to suggestions!

2 comments:

  1. These are lovely...yep, there's the glaze and underglaze combo problem to solve, and even with waxing you'll have to get the glaze out of the deeper areas where it wants to pool. Waiting to hear how you solve it!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and appreciate comments. Lately I have had a lot of spam and therefore have had to turn on word verification as well as comment moderation for posts older than 14 days.