Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Making it Big


 Jeff's been in the studio making big pots. We are excited to put some pots in David Stuempfle's wood kiln this week. Jeff also made a few large cache pots that I didn't get photos of before they left for the kiln. David fires slow and long and most of the pots will not be bisque fired.


I spent the weekend throwing some small bowls off the hump and then moved on to making rattle orbs. I am taking advantage of the Japanese maple tree while there are still leaves on it.
When I get the chance to wood fire, I make things for me. Not meaning that I will keep them, but rather I make things that I love to make with no worries about whether or not they will sell.
... but they usually do.

9 comments:

  1. Fall is so great with all the leaves that we can impress in clay. Love the rattle balls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! that is one big pot!! Can't wait to see it fired, kiln gods smiling!

    rattle orbs, how fun are those?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to meet David one of these days. Love his pots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rattle orbs with their leaf impressions are lovely. Are they made from two bowls joined rim to rim, or thrown all in one? The big pot is great, I was thinking that you might need a higher ceiling in the studio if they get much bigger!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doesn't it feel good for your creative soul to make things just because you like to make them without a thought for who will buy them. Of course, sometimes those are the ones that sell first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a wonderful big pot. Do you pinch your orbs, they are wonderful. I may have asked you that before but my old mind can't seem to remember today. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I usual coil the orbs, scrape them smooth with a rib, and roll them into a round shape. A couple of these I did by making two pinch pots, scored, slipped, and put together. Then did more of the scraping and rolling thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I imagine transporting a monster pot that is green down the road is quite an adventure in blankets and bubble wrap!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wood firing and fall weather..... Is there anything better? I am all for making what you love, if you love it, someone else will too:-)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and appreciate comments. Lately I have had a lot of spam and therefore have had to turn on word verification as well as comment moderation for posts older than 14 days.