Sunday, February 4, 2018

Figuring Things Out

Occasionally I pop my iPod nano into my old speaker dock and play it while I am cooking dinner. The speakers aren't the greatest and since Jeff had a vessel sink on the counter, waiting to be shipped, I decided to set my speaker dock inside it for a better sound. Low and behold it worked great!


I haven't updated my iPad in what seemed like forever so the next day I decided to plug it into my computer. When I did I got the big pop-up that said..."Would you like to format this disk?"

YIKES! I totally forgot that my iPod was formatted for my now nearly dead Macbook Pro. I figured that I may as well bite the bullet and reformat the darn thing. After all... my Mac days are over for at least a few years. I had a back up of my music... just in case and then followed directions that I found online. Everything APPEARED to go smoothly until I synced my iPod.
My music list was in iTunes, but wouldn't sync to the iPod. Even though iTunes recognized, would go through the sync, but nothing transferred. I searched for a solution online. I did all the recommended stuff. Uninstalled iTunes, reinstalled iTunes, rebooted my computer.
Nothing fixed it.
Jeff looked at it, tried to manually move the music from my backup, and still... Nothing!
After wasting a good portion of my afternoon, I decided to see if iTunes would play music from my list on the computer. Sure enough it did. I still had my iPod connected and when I went to eject it and give up for the day, I noticed that the one song I played was now magically on my iPod!!
I went back to iTunes and realize that while my music list appeared it wasn't truly downloaded from the cloud. I had to highlight each song and download them.


Evidently the row of "clouds" with the arrow meant I needed to download the songs! I can't believe the hoops I jumped through for such an easy fix. I hope that posting this well help someone else who has to reformat an iPod from Mac to PC. Many years ago when I went from PC to Mac it was a very easy transition. I seem to remember doing it in no time at all. Another example of why Mac's are more user friendly.

All of this iTune, iPod, sound dock, activity, prompted Jeff to head out to the studio and experiment with creating a smart phone amplifier.



I wonder if I can turn it into a pig?

3 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, I've never gotten my iTunes onto anything portable...so I get all my music at home right off the computer...with better speakers plugged into it. You are a braver woman than I! Love the idea of an amplifying pot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Jeff's low tech solution! A little different, but we've been trying to figure out how to download CD's created/burned by my uncle to an mp3 for my aunt, with no luck yet. Joseph's spent several hours on it already. Suggestions welcomed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking that you may be able to convert them in iTunes. Have you tried doing that yet? Here is a link that may be helpful: https://www.noterepeat.com/articles/how-to/232-itunes-importing-audio-files-into-your-music-library-and-converting-them-to-mp3#converting

      Delete

I welcome and appreciate comments. Lately I have had a lot of spam and therefore have had to turn on word verification as well as comment moderation for posts older than 14 days.