Monday, November 2, 2020

Under The Sea with NeoColor II Pastels

 Thanks to Suzie, AKA Smartcat, I bought a small set of Caran d'Ache NeoColor II watersoluble pastels! She mentioned in the comments on my oil pastel post that they were fun to use. I have had my eye on them for over a year. Her comment was all I needed to go for it.



They really are fun to create with. Think of them as soft wax crayons that behave like watercolors when activated with water. 

The colors make for some whimsical mermaids. The mermaid in the first photo was supposed to be singing. She also looks like she might be screaming.


In most of these sketches I also combined watercolor pencil and regular colored pencil. They are also done on mixed media paper. Next up is to try them on watercolor paper.



4 comments:

  1. Nice work!
    So glad you took me up on the suggestion.
    If you want to make them more permanent mix acrylic medium with your water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard about adding acrylic medium to the water! I will definitely try that.

      Delete
  2. The downside is that once it dries you can’t move the color around. The upside is that yo can get some terrific transparent effects.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and appreciate comments. Lately I have had a lot of spam and therefore have had to turn on word verification as well as comment moderation for posts older than 14 days.