Saturday, December 12, 2020

The Countdown to Christmas Deadlines

 We are in the final push to get orders out in time for holiday gift giving. The post office has been doing a dismal job with deliveries. Once a package leaves our studio, who knows how long or what route it will take to get to it's destination. I keep my finger crossed and keep an eye on tracking. I can't even begin to count how many missing package inquiries I have made in the last few weeks.


While I haven't had any piggy banks or salt pigs in stock for months, there are still lots of nice pots in our gallery.


We have been open by appointment only since the end of November. It has been working out well. Shoppers have the gallery to themselves, everyone is wearing a mask, and we have contactless payment through Square.


I decided to run a report on the Square app and compared sales from the first weekend in December of 2019 to the first weekend in December, 2020. We sold more in 2020 than 2019! The people who called and made appointments were either past customers or people who saw our work online and were very interested in making a purchase. It felt so much safer than dealing with people in and out all day, sanitizing the door handle, if the door couldn't be left open, and reminding people that our emergency occupancy was only three.
Jeff and I have been very thankful that our online sales have sustained us over the last nine months. We are hopeful it will continue and that we can all get through this winter safe and healthy.




2 comments:

  1. We've found the same in our online shops this year, and are so grateful. I suppose folks are wanting to support handmade in a bigger way this year, which is a lovely development. Shipping surely is challenging this year. Two out of six packages that went out Monday were still saying pre-transit yesterday. One has shifted to in transit this morning, but the other is still not showing up in the system. I feel sorry for all the postal and delivery people, and expect most are doing the very best they can with short staff and increased deliveries. I'm glad you've figured out a way to manage your business that's working well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear things are going well for you! My online sales have been at least no worse than 2019, for which I am grateful. Looking forward to doing shows & events again, though.
    Happy Holidays to you & yours!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and appreciate comments. Lately I have had a lot of spam and therefore have had to turn on word verification as well as comment moderation for posts older than 14 days.