Thursday, March 18, 2021

You can teach old dogs new tricks.

 


We have made so many salt pig over the last 12 months. There are usually around 30 in each firing. I am still getting orders for piggy banks, but the salt pigs definitely out number them. When the piggy banks started selling faster than I could make them, Jeff took over the throwing part. I became the person that turned them into pigs and glazed them. He is waaaaaay faster then I am on the wheel. Then when the salt pigs came into being, he threw those too. A few weeks ago it was determined that there were so many orders for vessel sinks, that I needed to pitch in with the salt pig throwing. It took me a few tries to get the shape right and I felt like mine were just not going to look as nice as his. 

He kept telling me they were fine.

He was right. Once glazed, I could hardly determine which ones were mine or his.

I am still extremely slow, but I think they are starting to go a little more quickly. This is a good time for me to work on this, because like last March, our sales have let up a little this month. We are finally catching up on orders and hope to get our turn around time back to 4-6 weeks. I must say 99.9% of customers have had no problem waiting 8-10 weeks for their pigs.

We also have a new glaze in the studio! It's called denim blue. Jeff mixed it up for a sink customer that wanted a lighter blue. I think it will look great on a piggy bank. I am hoping to get one in the next firing so that I can photograph it and start offering this new color. Next on the list is a pink glaze. I get so many requests for pink piggy banks!

I will close with the exciting news that Jeff and I got our first Moderna vaccine last week. We can hardly wait for April 8th to get number two. I am preparing myself for some side effects and I will gladly taking them over getting the virus. Once we are fully vaccinated we will probably re-open the gallery at the end of April!

Stay healthy! Get vaccinated!



2 comments:

  1. That's a pretty blue. I bet the pink pigs will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that light blue, very sweet piggie. Glad you have skills and are working slowly to get the goal correctly finished. Enjoy first of Spring, equinox day!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and appreciate comments. Lately I have had a lot of spam and therefore have had to turn on word verification as well as comment moderation for posts older than 14 days.