Sunday, April 4, 2021

Travelers Notebook

 


My latest book binding project was a midori aka travelers notebook. If you aren't familiar with this type of notebook, it's a cover utilizing elastic cord to hold the signatures and also to wrap around for a closure. Traditionally the covers are made of leather. The elastic cord allows you to add and remove signatures as needed.


I made my cover out of a cracker box that I covered with gel print papers. The signatures were assembled and saddle stitched using copy paper scraps that I save when printing shipping labels. I try to print two labels per page to prevent waste but occasionally one item needs to be shipped so I have a stack of half sheets next to the paper cutter.

It took me forever to finish this little notebook. I wasn't happy with how I assembled the cover. After gluing it down I realized the spine should have been a separate piece from the front and back. It would close a little more neatly if I had done that. It sat on the table for weeks before I could bring myself to finish it. I made it for myself so no one else has to deal with error! The next one will be better.

I'll use this little book to keep track of how much water I drink each day, as well as a log for exercise and blood pressure. Yes, their is a phone app for most of those things but I prefer to put pen to paper.





1 comment:

I welcome and appreciate comments. Lately I have had a lot of spam and therefore have had to turn on word verification as well as comment moderation for posts older than 14 days.