since so many glazes were running low i spent a day and a half mixing new batches. i don't mind measuring, sieving and stirring... it's the damn mask that i hate. i feel claustrophobic and feel like i can't breathe with it on.
i mixed a large batch of shino along with 5 gallon pails of wheat and robins egg. we were firing the gas kiln the next day and we were able to test them to make sure i got it right
the spodumene reminds of taking classes at NHIA. i used LOTS of spodumene. there was a time when a lot of the glazes were either too thick or too thin. students weren't allowed to thin anything down. most times the buckets had already been stirred by the time i got to glazing at night so i couldn't pour off some of the water into an empty bucket if it was too thin. it seemed the spod was always safe. i can't tell you how many spodumene pots i made! oh the joys of making pots in a school setting. i do miss the exchange of idea and the social aspect but not all the "rules".