Saturday, February 11, 2012

workin' at the co-op...

of Seagrove Potters.
Today is one of my three co-op days for this month. I decided I would take some pottery work to do while I am here. For some strange reason I decided to make kitchen sponge holders. I have never made them before and I am beginning to think I won't be making them again. I threw them the other day and brought them with me to cut and and stamp.

I didn't have my "real" camera with me but my MacBook has the photo booth application so I snapped a pic of work in progress. Not sure these are doing anything for me. I only made about 8-10. I will fire them and see what I think when they are glazed. I am not sure if I can sell them for a price that reflects the amount of time put into them.
On a good note... I was happy to see when I arrived at the Co-op this morning, that Jeff and I have sold quite a few mugs here this month. Some nice salt glazed maple leaf ones that I made this fall are gone... and I was just beginning to think that maybe $30 was a little high.
Pricing work, it's the ongoing struggle for me and I am sure many other craftsmen out their.

3 comments:

  1. I took my work to a new location this morning - vases, bowls and others; they asked if I could make sponge holders and I said I could, hand built I am not sure how I would do it. But I am sure they would take as much more time than a soap dish yet bring about the same price. Sponge holders are much more complicated and time consuming to make. ugh

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, they are COOL sponge holders, in any case :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. pricing work grrr.......
    and with the sponge holder you gotta compete with those lovely things you can buy at Walmart for $2,
    grrr again!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and appreciate comments. Lately I have had a lot of spam and therefore have had to turn on word verification as well as comment moderation for posts older than 14 days.