Thursday, November 13, 2014

Cheesy Goodness and The Gingerbread Men Saga


Doesn't this look like a big gooey, cheesy mess? It sure was, and was it ever delicious. I make pizza nearly every week. A few days ago I decided that I would give stromboli a try instead. It was actually easier to do than pizza because there isn't that neat trick of sliding the pie off the peel and onto a hot stone. The dough is rolled like a jelly roll and placed on a lightly greased cookie sheet. I never follow recipes exactly and for the stromboli I combined two. I stuck with my "go to" dough recipe, which you can find here:
pizza dough
and this Emeril Lagasse Stromboli recipe: stromboli
I switched the filling to what we like; pepperoni, sausage, sweet onion, red pepper, garlic. I also added a little bit of pizza sauce to the filling. Of course there was lots of mozzarella and parmesan cheese in there too.
Yummy! I can't wait until next week so I can make it again.

You may recall that a few weeks ago I decided to make ornaments once more. Don't ask me why, since the first bunch took FOREVER to sell. The last firing was mostly the slip trailed gingerbread men and I spent last night sanding and stringing them up. Cooling in the kiln right now is an assortment of animals, hearts, and stars. I was thinking I would have a good selection to take to the show next week. Wouldn't you know, someone came in the shop today and commented on how much she loved the gingerbread men, but it was too bad that I only had three because she needed twelve. I really made her day when I said I had a whole bunch more that I hadn't put out yet. Let me tell you, selling twelve in one fell swoop was a heck of a lot better than one at a time at $8. There is something about an $8 sale that makes me want to cry. A $96 sale feels much better.
and now I am back down to a handful of gingerbread men... I wonder if I have time to make a few more before the show???


9 comments:

  1. Awesome on the gingerbread men! Your intuition was right on, thinking it was a good time to try them again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I smelled stromboli.Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, i know what's for dinner here now, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. never heard of stromboli will have to give it a try with my gluten free crust. 12 ornaments to one person, how wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  5. I once did a show that cost me $100 in booth fees and I sold one $3 ornament the whole day..... That might have been the beginning of my disdain for selling art to the public:-)
    I love stromboli, great idea. Sometimes I'll make a calzone with my pizza recipe, it is a challenge some days to get the pizza dough just right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two variant flavors in one post...gingerbread, cheesy. THey might not go together so well in one bite, but this sounds like a great use of each one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you tried tossing the pizza dough? Just like throwing pots, it's someth you can learn with practice.

    Congratulations on the sale, that's terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you tried tossing the pizza dough? Just like throwing pots, it's someth you can learn with practice.

    Congratulations on the sale, that's terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tracey, dough is fussy and the weather determines how much flour to use. I have had good luck with recipe I linked to.
    Lori - I would have to make extra dough to practice the tossing thing. I am sure at least one might end up on the floor! I use a rolling pin and do some stretching by picking it up but never dared to toss.

    I can't wait to here how you gluten free and vegan cooks do with the stromboli. It's great that you can create alternatives to the standard recipes.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and appreciate comments. Lately I have had a lot of spam and therefore have had to turn on word verification as well as comment moderation for posts older than 14 days.