Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Mud Season


We are finally experiencing some warmer temperatures. Since it arrived on the heels of snow and rain, mud season is in full swing.

Monday was spent glazing and loading the gas kiln. It felt good to be outside, even if it meant trekking through the mud. Since we lack a spray booth, this is our outdoor set up.


It works quite well, as long as there is no wind.

The day flew by quickly and as the sun was setting I decided to grab my camera and venture out for a walk around the property. My neighbors cows are always a treat to see. 


I don't know much, or really anything, about raising cows, so I am not sure why these calves are in this little pen. They were all laying down and quickly stood up when I approached. I will try not to think that they might be being raised for veal. 




This piece of farm equipment makes me think "bionic bug".

Today's weather forecast predicts temps in the mid 70's. More rain is on the way, so I think the mud is going to stick around awhile.





9 comments:

  1. I thought it was always mud season at your pottery. Hehehe.

    I don’t have a spray booth yet either, weather really affects how we work doesn’t it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someday I will have a real spray booth. We did have a homemade one in NH - basically a cardboard box with a light and a small fan that exhausted out a window. It was fine for small items.

      Delete
  2. Necessity is the mother of invention! Seventy? Even with rain overnight we still have tons of snow....with more coming tonight!
    I'm amassing quite a heap of studio towels. I wash them outside in a bucket with a plunger before putting them through the machine. Not today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do basically the same with our studio towels. Typically we get a warm day in winter to soak them... not this year! I should be doing that today.

      Delete
  3. The calves are in a thing that holds a big round bale of hay. Looks like they followed the hay into the holder as the level got low.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, I bet you are right! I will have to go check today to see if they have been freed.

      Delete
  4. My spray booth is about like yours except I just have an old metal stool to hold the banding wheel. Yours looks pretty fancy by comparison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is Jeff's very old adjustable band wheel. It's very handy. I am not sure if you can buy them like that anymore.

      Delete

I welcome and appreciate comments. Lately I have had a lot of spam and therefore have had to turn on word verification as well as comment moderation for posts older than 14 days.