Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Do you know what this is?

Have you seen those posts on facebook with photos of high beam buttons on the car floor, or metal ice cube trays with arms for removing ice? They always start sort of like this: 
"If you grew up in the 60's, and know what this is, like and share.

This contraption is inside one of our kitchen cabinets:
Have you ever seen one before? It is located to the right of the sink. If you pull it up, it swings out and raises the shelf to about a foot lower than the counter. The only thing that Jeff and I can surmise is that it was used to hold a small garbage can. When raised to it's upper position you could peel potatoes over it, or dump other waste into it. It raises easily, but is a pain to lower. Perhaps it worked more easily in the 60's!
Should we remove it, or leave as it's a quirky 60's house thing? One thing is for sure... it will be a pain in the a$$ to paint.


  1. Yes, we had one custom installed in our old house. We had the large kitchenaid mixer on it. It’s a heavy appliance and this way it was stored out of the way but was easily retrieved when we wanted to bake.

  2. Hey that is cool, I learn something every day on the blogs.

  3. I remember visiting a house in Manchester, NH with a curious relic in the kitchen--turned out it was a contraption for letting the milkman put new milk into the kitchen, etc, etc. All those gadgets and spacesaving devices so quickly forgotten :)


I welcome and appreciate comments. Lately I have had a lot of spam and therefore have had to turn on word verification as well as comment moderation.