Thursday, January 23, 2020

Wood Fire Dreams

Bowl by Louise Harter - Dragon Incense Burner by Steve Murphy

This tiny bowl, by Connecticut potter Louise Harter, has become my go to bowl for my morning boiled egg. I think it cradles it perfectly. I will always have a soft spot for wood fired pottery. My work style has evolved since losing access to regular wood firings. The work I now make is created with gas firing in mind. I miss being involved in the process from start to finish, an opportunity that we frequently had in New Hampshire. Jeff and I often talk about building a wood kiln, but right now it is financially out of our reach. Jeff will get his wood fire "fix" during the the North Carolina Wood Fire Conference that is happening in late Spring. He signed up for the "Pre-Heat" portion of the conference and will be able to fire work in three different wood kilns here in Seagrove. We will probably collaborate on a couple of ginkgo leaf pots to put in one or two kilns. I am sure Jeff will spend some winter days making teapots and tea bowls as we look forward to Spring.

2 comments:

  1. I also love wood fired pottery. That little bowl seems just perfect for an egg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm into dragons these days...that's a great idea to have one as an incense burner! Tucking that idea into my list to consider. Wood firing is so unique, and the potters certainly are invested in more than can happen with electric cone 6 like we do...I've only seen one fired (St. Petersburg FL's Highwater Clay studios), and another one opened (Penland School, NC.)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and appreciate comments. Lately I have had a lot of spam and therefore have had to turn on word verification as well as comment moderation for posts older than 14 days.