Monday, May 11, 2020

Image Transfer

I have really enjoyed printing with a gel plate. Initially I had purchased a small 6"x 6" plate and after using it for a month, I decided to get a larger 8"x 10". I found a different brand that was a little less expensive. I haven't noticed a difference between brands, other than price.

The technique that has really intrigued me is using it for image transfers. It's taken a lot of experimenting with different acrylic paints and application thickness. I think I am getting close to success!


I rolled a layer of black on to the gel place and placed a stencil over it. I want to create some negative space to fill with color in the second layer, so I pulled a print to remove some paint before taking the stencil off.


Once the black paint has completely dried I apply some colors over the flower design. I let this layer completely dry as well. Sometimes I use a hair dryer on the cool setting to speed up the process. Don't use a heat tool on a gel plate. It gets too hot and can damage your plate. When it's dry it's time to pull your print. That's when the magic happens!
Apply a thin layer of paint over the gel plate, place your paper on top. I have had the best luck rolling over the back of the paper with a clean brayer. Slowly peel the paper off of the gel plate to reveal the print.

I didn't get a photo of the plate with the transfer coat of paint because you have to work fairly quickly during this part of the process. You want to pull the print before the paint dries.


At first I was having problems with a lot of patchy areas that didn't transfer. I have eliminated a lot of that by applying a thinner coat of paint on the transfer layer. I am still getting some spotty areas but I am okay with that. I sort of like the look. 


These are some prints I also pulled during the process. I try to not waste any paint. They are printed on cover stock that I found in my office. I am trying to use up paper that I have on hand.


These were printed on deli paper. Layered over some other prints. These can be used to make little envelopes, wrap small gifts, or incorporated into collage.


This is a "ghost" print that I did over watercolor paper that was printed with distress oxide ink. I really like how this turned out.
The prints done on heavier paper may get used to make journal covers. I have been doing some simple binding techniques. Next on my "to learn" list is to teach myself how to stitch a coptic binding!




1 comment:

  1. That looks really good fun to do! I wonder if there is a way to use the gel print process with ceramic stains and oxides mixed with acrylic medium (or some other water based medium) and transferred onto tiles?

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and appreciate comments. Lately I have had a lot of spam and therefore have had to turn on word verification as well as comment moderation for posts older than 14 days.