Thursday, July 9, 2020

Are We Winning Yet?

I am not too proud to admit that I am really struggling right now. The state of our nation with DT in the White House, combined with Covid-19, has twisted my head and heart into a knot.


North Carolina's Covid-19 case numbers have been increasing by the thousands EVERY DAY. We finally have a statewide mask order but it isn't enforced, and many ignore it. I am extremely disappointed that our local potters organization voted to move forward with a studio tour this month. I am not sure what people don't understand about the "Safer at Home" phase that we are in. Many organizations have moved their pottery tours to an online event. I have heard that the potters had very good sales. Most of the pottery shops in Seagrove are quite small. Many, ours included, can only accommodate 2-3 shoppers inside due to the half capacity limitations that are now in place. We are happy to be open online only during this time. I feel it's reckless to be promoting an in-person studio tour. Pottery is not a necessity during a pandemic. Wearing a mask and staying home is.

I fear that if my community, along with our state, can't get it's act together, I may never see my Dad in New Hampshire again. He is 93, and in a nursing home. The isolation has been very difficult for him. My daughter is in Connecticut where they have travel restrictions in place. North Carolina is one of those restricted States. I would have to quarantine for 14 days if I visited her, and she would have to quarantine 14 days if she returned from visiting me. She is a sales rep for a large veterinary pharmaceuticals company. She has worked from home since March and her company doesn't expect to send them back into the field in the foreseeable future, and even then they will have a strict protocol to follow. Connecticut has had a mask mandate since the beginning of all this. EVERYONE wears them. North Carolina has surpassed them in case numbers.

The icing on the proverbial cake came late yesterday. I went to nearby Asheboro for groceries. As I entered the store through the "one way entrance" a mask-less young woman nearly ran into me exiting the store. Sadly, I recognized her as an employee at a Seagrove establishment. She obviously has total disregard for others. I grabbed a cart and headed to the produce department.

It was nearly wiped out.

No lemons to be found. No grapes. Only a couple bags of cole slaw mix and hardly any lettuce. My favorite brand of Greek yogurt based salad dressing was sold out. Luckily there were tomatoes, bananas, and onions. I am glad we are still getting lettuce and arugula from our garden! We should have plenty of green beans in a week, along with okra.
Meat was plentiful this week but canned tomatoes were picked over along with the prepared spaghetti sauces and pasta, which I don't typically buy anyway. I am beginning to think this is our new normal.
At the rate we are going it will get worse before it gets better.


8 comments:

  1. That does sound discouraging at the grocery store, which I'm guessing was FL? I think it would be wise to stock up when we are able to find shelf stable or frozen items, to be on the safe side for whatever the future holds, and preserve produce items when possible. J told me about a massive amount of potatoes that was disposed of this week, due to challenges at the processing plants. It could get interesting. You and I are blessed to live in the country, and have gardens. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was FL. I definitely stocked up on extras.

      Delete
  2. We are feeling stretched thin here too. Despite having better stats than you.
    Face coverings are compulsory here from tomorrow, at last. We have been wearing a scarf and now masks ourselves for months. Our usual shops and shoppers are good with regard to masks, but others you despair...
    I have been steadily building up a sensible larder for a while.
    As produce comes into season, I have started freezing fruit, veg and meals. The aim is also to bottle(can) as well in case of power cuts, something we would normally do..only more so...our collective grandmothers would be proud of us!
    Why people just don't get that normal as was, was not right. We have to change and respect the earth to survive, and think of others too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad to find your blog again...somehow it slipped off my reading list here. But I'm also worried about the state of our lives these days...especially in NC. My little town has some (maybe the majority) people who offer each other helping hands and wear masks, and demonstrate sometimes. But we're a tourist spot, as well as having lots of what I calll "good ole boys" who have lived here forever and won't wear a mask for any reason. Both kinds are just sauntering around breathing on everyone. I'm sorry you can't visit your father...which I did read about over on FB. I know that's a concern. The lack of produce in grocery stores is not a good thing, but I've not been shopping that much lately...and our 2-3 local stores had plenty of choices. Hang in there! We're all just walking each other home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same as you. I had a mild anxiety attack last week when I went to meet someone that wanted to give me some canning jars. It was the first personal interaction I have had with someone and it really messed with my head! I can't find navy beans around here, and found the Asian section wiped out last week, no coconut milk or curry paste, rice is scarce, flour still scarce. The worst was today, our refrigerator has decided to die and I went looking for one. I have specific measurements and the floor models that fit my needs are not available, I went to 6 locations and still do not have a frig. Everyone blamed the pandemic on getting shipments.... I am storing food and canning and freezing like crazy, I feel the food situation is going to get worse by winter..... stock up while you can!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is difficult to know what to do, but not having people in the studio is wise. we did the same. As far as the other potters in town there have always been a mix of opinion on how best to bring people to our area. Things have changed once again. Pushing to be open is not the best way,thinking outside the box, working on digital sales, working as a group, Setting aside your own feelings for others has always been the hard part of working together. I fear we are a small part of the voice here. But, continuing to do the right thing for the right reasons is always the best choice.
    Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry to hear you are unable to visit your father... that is the case for my husband and I as his mother is in another state here is Oz. The borders closed between states. Fortunately his brother lives near her and now that the lock down on her care facility has lifted he is able to visit her again. Thank goodness for phones and video calls. Take care, keep well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry you can't visit your father, losing contact with loved ones is what hurts the most during this time. I'm in NM and only acquire groceries through pick up and / or delivery so I haven't been inside a store in months. However, Walmart is now restricting most goods to only one and many things are simply unavailable. It has boggled my mind how many people in this country simply do not believe that masks are important; I am related to a Trump fanatic and she doesn't believe the death count, doesn't believe the virus is as serious as they say, and doesn't think masks are important. We think they're being selfish, they think we're alarmists and consumed by fear. Now I understand how Jim Jones got 900 people to drink the Kool-Aid.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and appreciate comments. Lately I have had a lot of spam and therefore have had to turn on word verification as well as comment moderation for posts older than 14 days.