Thursday, September 10, 2020

In My Own Little Bubble...

 


Some months back I bound this journal using a simple method using handmade washi-tape along with electrical tape. The pages and cover were all made with gel prints on an inexpensive water color paper. In the handmade journal world, this probably falls into the "junk journal" category. My challenge has been creating artwork over the printed backgrounds. I have to admit that some pages have me stumped!


There are two page spreads with the same prints. Those are easier to be inspired by. I started the mermaid as a practice for a soap pump order. The buyer requested a mermaid scene. I hadn't drawn mermaids in a few years. I started this drawing/painting a couple of months ago and finally finished it this week. It took me that long to figure out where it was headed. The soap dispenser has long been carved, fired, and shipped to it's new owner. Lucky for her it didn't take me two months to figure that out.

I used acrylic paint, colored pencils, pen and ink, then finished it off with sparkly "stickles", a product from Ranger... basically a good quality glitter glue. Who doesn't like a little sparkle in their life?
I am happier with it now, but I know what direction the next one will go in.


 

 I find the pages with competing prints to be difficult. If I cover over one side it's a little easier to find a starting point. This week I added more washi-tape to a page and created a doodle inspired by my own end of summer flowers. It was quick sketch and relaxing to complete. I really enjoyed the Summer of 2020. There were some difficult times, and sleepless nights. Decisions to be made about business, concerns over the state of our country, and humanity... all of which weighed heavy at times. Despite all of this, Jeff and I fell into a rhythm of work, gardening, and cooking. Uninterrupted. Enjoying the moment. Our little bubble is a good place to "just be".




2 comments:

  1. I'm also enjoying time to just be. Enjoying your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that mermaid spread is amazing Michele. From the background to the lovely mermaid. Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and appreciate comments. Lately I have had a lot of spam and therefore have had to turn on word verification as well as comment moderation for posts older than 14 days.