I drew my design Friday afternoon and carved everything except the background. I left it on my banding wheel and went into the house for a few minutes.
When I returned it was gone! It had rolled off the banding wheel onto the floor, and then over to one of the wheels a few feet away. I was so mad at myself for leaving it there. The orb was flat on one side and had a few cracks. Never mind the dirt and dust it picked up on it's roll. At Jeff's suggestion, I smoothed the cracks and paddled it back into shape. I had to go over some of the carving, but I did manage to save it.
Jeff went right to work and cut me a piece of foam with a hole in the center. Now my orbs have a safe resting place when my back is turned.
Prior to the orb catastrophe, I took out some porcelain and threw a few shallow bowls of the hump. I don't usually throw that (I never was very good at it) but decided to give it another try. I was pretty happy with these. I am probable going to glaze them in my Temple White. The one with the stamps will get some black underglaze.
It felt good to be in the studio making exactly what I wanted to make and not something that someone ordered and has to be completed by certain date... that's what I will be back to soon enough.