When the holiday rush was over I found two coasters that were forgotten. They were wrapped in plastic and still leather hard. I had been trying to talk myself into braving the cold studio and getting some work done. Opportunity was calling my name! I got out there, applied some slip and once they were dry enough, carved a design. I was so proud of myself for finally getting something done. Jeff laughed because there were only two, and I wimped out with a simple design. Cut me some slack... it was really cold in the studio!
After the bisque firing I applied liquid wax to the rims and then filled in the carving with Amaco's Jet Black Velvet Underglaze.
Once the underglaze was dry, I wiped over it with a damp sponge. I am not too fussy with the clean up. Most won't show through the glaze. When it does, I don't mind the "blurry" look.
I poured the glaze on to the coasters, quickly pouring off the excess. If any spots get on the rim I just wipe it up with a damp sponge.
They came out of the kiln on Monday, so now I have a complete set of........TWO.
With our new heater in the studio we should be able to be more productive on a regular basis this month. Coasters are on my "to make" list.