Monday, April 20, 2020

DIY Washi Tape and Handmade Cards

I recently bought a small gelli plate for mono-printing. Printers used to make their own plates with gelatin, and you still can, but now there are a few companies that manufacture them. The bonus is that they are quite durable and they should last for years if you take care of them.

I recently saw a YouTube video on making your own mono-printed washi-tape. I had all the ingredients to make it happen! 

The first step is to tape strips of masking tape onto wax paper. Don't overlap. 

Second, roll out some acrylic paint onto your gelli plate. I wanted random, bright colors.

I impressed some designs onto the plate and pulled a few prints using the taped wax paper. If you don't have a gel plate you could always sponge paint the tape with acrylic paint.

Once my layers of printed paint dried, I stamped and stenciled random designs.

Why make washi-tape when you can buy it reasonably priced? I wanted to use it to bind multi-fold cards. I wanted to the tape binding to blend in with the card.

This is my first attempt at a three fold card with a washi-tape binding.

I had so much fun creating it!

It took me a few days to complete because I kept adding new layers and embellishments. I am quite happy with the results and plan to make more. The washi-tape "hinge" blends in nicely.

 But now lets get back to the handmade washi-tape...

In theory, you should easily be able to pull the tape off of the wax paper. The first day I made it, it appeared that it would lift off easily. Three days later, when I was ready to assemble my card, much of the tape would not come off the wax paper. It could possibly be that my masking tape is too heavy duty. It's the same tape we buy in bulk to tape bubble wrap when packing pottery. Maybe inexpensive tape works better. Another thought is, the artist in the YouTube video is in Italy. European waxed paper may be different from what we get here in the US. I am going to give it another try with an idea that Jeff gave me. Lay masking tape down on a board or piece of cardboard. Tape another layer of tape over that tape. Print, stamp, and embellish the second layer. In theory, it should peel off easily, since that is how tape works on a roll. Hopefully, your first layer of tape can be re-used to make more. I don't like being wasteful!
I will post again when I finish my second attempt. In the meantime, feel free to ask questions, or share your method if you have made your own washi-tape.

Be well, and keep creating!

6 comments:

  1. There is more than one grade of masking tape..I can buy low tack tape from art suppliers or DIY suppliers for when you are masking off glass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to look for that at some point. I am wondering if cheap dollar store tape would also work better. Someday I will be able to go shopping again!

      Delete
  2. Very cool! It's the perfect time to try new creative ideas. I smiled seeing your egg poacher paint holder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only used it as an egg poacher once so a few years ago I decided it made a better paint palette!

      Delete
  3. Hello Michele, it's me again :-) Well, I made my washi tape an year ago, methink, and sometimes it get stuck to the freezing paper, but mostly if I start from the edge it peels easily. In italy they don't sell freezing paper, I bought it abroad; maybe it is as you said about the brand of your masking tape. I think the cheaper the better. My favourite one (not cheaper) is by 3M, I like it because is whitish and not yellowish. I hope this blabbering helps a bit :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tips! I am going to look for whiter tape. My second attempt at making washi tape was more successful.

      Delete

I welcome and appreciate comments. Lately I have had a lot of spam and therefore have had to turn on word verification as well as comment moderation for posts older than 14 days.